Sunday School..9:00 A.M.
Sunday School..9:15 A.M.
- From humble beginnings in 1836, as the first church erected in South Wheatland Township, known as the “Mt. Gilead Society”, to the present day, Elwin UMC reaches out to the local community in service, witness and action.
- The Elwin church family continues to reach out to all people as we embrace the Methodist philosophy of “Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors”.
- As part of the Prairieview Parish, we participate in community events, offer a variety of Bible studies, and host engaging activities for all ages.
- Everyone is welcome at Elwin UMC. Come and be a part of God’s family!
Sunday School….9:00 A.M.
- In October 1855, Rev. Peter Hehner came to our area to establish a church for the German Methodists who had migrated Here. Eighteen members formed the first church. In November that year this group decided to build a church on the William Sleeter land. This one room building was completed in 1862 for $1,629.80.
- Gradually the use of the German language in our church gave way to English. Also the custom of men sitting on one side of the church and women on the other side gradually changed also. Early in 1886 with a membership of over 90 members, Boody Zion decided to build a new church for the expanding congregation. It was built that summer and dedicated on December 5, 1886.
- A sister church, Blue Mound Chapel was completely destroyed by fire on January 31, 1949. The members of Zion Church gave them a sincere and unanimous invitation to come and worship with them. After prayerful consideration they decided to do this instead of rebuilding. The merger of the two congregations became official on June 12, 1949 and they agreed to name the new organization “Zion Chapel” Methodist Church. It has been a successful union as together we worship and minister in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.